Sunday, August 13, 2006

the hunt

early morning. i've just shaken myself from a restless sleep. something's not right. i've felt it all night but was too indifferent to care. so i stumble, still half asleep, from my resting place to check on the others in my camp.

there's still dew on the grass. the morning sky is blue, but it looks threatening. tempting enough to make you think it will be a good day, but it's full of deceit. like a montreal cabbie.

i give my head a shake to try to hasten my consciousness. it doesn't work. i've got a big day ahead of me. i don't know what i'll be doing, but i know it'll be big. "where is everyone?" i wonder to myself when i reach the adjoining camp. oh, right. i'm alone. it was last week that someone else was with me. that could make today's tasks more difficult, but i'm confident. i can do anything.

but before i do anything, i've got to shake these cobwebs. a few minutes of sitting should do the trick. i choose my chair carefully. or not. i choose the chair i always sit in. and as i do, it happens. in the distance, movement. quick. agile. my senses almost immediately reach their full power. and i spring to my feet. the hunt begins.

i instinctively scan for my weapon. anger begins to build. i feel violated. it's in my space. it's on my personal property. it's a spider on my sofa. the couch i lay on when i watch tv or a movie. who does this thing think it is? i'll soon teach it a lesson. i'm bigger. i'm faster. i'm smarter. i'm stronger. and i'm angry.

i grab a nearby tissue, angrily push my ottoman/coffee table out of the way. i throw it like it's a sheet of paper. weightless. it's amazing the strength one develops when threatened. next, the sofa. my intruder has quickly run for cover behind MY sofa. though infuriated at the intrusion, i'm impressed by the boldness of its tactics... using my own environment as a hiding space. it's either tremendously stupid, or mistakenly confident. if it had a brain in its head, it would have immediately retreated to the safety of the outside.

i latch onto the sofa and quickly pull it out from the wall. i furiously scan for the enemy. he's gone. and hey... what's that? a nickle on the floor. is that the reason the spider has come? it's also kind of dusty under here. so i decide to go and grab the broom to clean up before i continue the hunt. clearly i've got the spider cornered so what's my rush?

i run the broom over the strips of hardwood. "that's better," i think. ok. back to the task at hand. i grab my weapon again and flip the sofa onto its back in one quick, smooth motion. (yeah, i'm smooth. i'm sure i've mentioned that before). another quick scan and my heart sinks. my intruder is nowhere to be found.

"what the screw?!" i exclaim. i scratch my head in the stereotypically confused manner. where could it have gone? i've underestimated this spider. it's smarter than i gave it credit for. faster too. there's only one thing to do. i run to my bedroom, pack a suitcase with as many clothes as i can, stop by the cupboard in the kitchen and grab a bag of cookies and i run out the door. i drive to my office to get the weekend paper and start looking for new apartments. maybe i'm overreacting. but i have a tendancy to do that in the morning.

the spider has won round one. but now that i'm fully awake, i've come to the conclusion that i can't let one spider drive me out of my apartment. especially since i've just recently found out that the unwed mother upstairs and the devil child she gave birth to is moving out. i will be victorious. by the end of the day, i will stand over the bloodied remains of my intruder with my hands raised in victory. and word will spread throughout the insect kingdom like wildfire. entering the maison of d without invite means certain death.

be warned.

11 comments:

The Dog of Freetown said...

Or you could move into the unwed mother and devil child's appartment instead.

Spiders won't hurt you by the way, theyr'e all quakers.

CamoBunny said...

congratulations on your loss-- of unpleasant neighbours, that is.

when my brother was younger, i was his spider-killer. i'd hear him scream like a girl, and i'd appear with some sort of contraption i'd quickly fashioned to catch the beast. i'd scoop it up and throw it in the toilet, wait for it to drown, and then flush it. i couldn't do the tissue thing because i didn't want to feel it squish between my fingers.

deep down i'm a bug-killing failure. they give me the creepy-crawlies, and sometimes [lowers voice, leans closer] i squeal when one almost crawls on me.

evidently i didn't inherit my grandmother's genes. she was so hard core that once when she saw a cockroach trying to crawl up onto our picnic table, in one swift movement she just up and smacked that sucker to flat juicy bits WITH HER BARE HAND.

like i said. hard core.

d said...

k - what do you mean "spiders won't hurt you"??? that's what spiders do. they hurt people. they're like wrestlers and name callers. now i know the one i'm my place won't hurt me... yet. but if i let it grow older and bigger, then it might. it's already proven its speed and intellectual superiority. it's just a matter of time before it is stronger than me and i become the prey.

(just for the record... i'm not afraid of spiders ['cept really big ones]. i just don't want them crawling on me. i don't want any kind of bug crawling on me. i'm weird that way.)

cb - thank you. i'm extremely excited about the end of the month. and your grandmother was totally hard core. i will kill some bugs with my bare hands, but anything that makes a noticeable crunching sound requires a device of some sort to do the squishing.

Thérèse said...

I found this immensely entertaining. I could totally see you doing it. Must admit though, no idea what you used for a weapon. Surely not your blue suede shoes?

Also, I'm cold. Why is it so freaking cold today? Six. Six Celsius!

d said...

t - i used a tissue as my weapon. which probably explains why the spider was so frightened. the only other thing within reach was a hammer (i put up some pictures the night before). but i thought that might do too much damage.

and i agree. it has been unseasonably cold the last few days. it feels like fall already. i love fall. but not in august....

kara said...

Spiders shmiders. When you have to kill a 6 ft roach that flies so close that you can see he hate it its eyes with nothing more than a flip flop...then we'll talk.

Until then...yes, I can get you a picture of a trailblazer (that sounds so Lebowski...'dude, i can get you a toe'), but it may take me a while since I don't go to the games...well, and they haven't even started yet...and I'd be in seats so high up that they'll look like NBA ants. I could probably get ahold of a copy of one of their mug shots, though.

d said...

k2 - i'm not sure you fully understand the urgency of the spider hunt. and that's fine, because i didn't actually explain it. but now i will.

recently, residents of metro moncton have been finding giant spiders in their yards - there's a rumour that one woman also found one on her toilet - WHILE SHE WAS USING IT!!

anyway, by giant, i'm talking giant. bodies the size of a human fist. now... i live alone so the only fist i have to reference is my own. and my fist is, quite honestly, huge (ask t - she's seen my hands). so the thought of a spider in my house that could potentially grow up to be one of these giant spiders, big enough to carry away a small dog is disturbing to me because firstly, ewww... and secondly, i'm not sure i'm ready for a roommate.

i know it's no 6' roach, but it's something. (by roach, i assume you're talking about an ex boyfriend pilot?)

kara said...

Maybe you should take a stake to that spider before you start handing out the vampire slaying/romance advice. Pansy.

And I DO have an ex helicopter pilot boyfriend that stalked me for a year...but I'm not talking about him...I'm talking about nasty Louisiana mega cockroaches with gnashing teeth and vacant eyes.

Once you stake the spider...take a picture of it.

d said...

k2 - i don't own a stake. can i borrow yours?

kara said...

of course you may

d said...

thank you. and i'm sorry.

there. i said it.