Monday, January 22, 2007

moo

get it? that's a greeting from cowtown. ahhh, shut up.

so yeah, i'm finally here in calgary. and i'm stealing internet from some fool who is using an unsecure wireless network. but only for today (and yesterday)... my internet gets hooked up tomorrow. anyway, i typed up a blog post over the weekend while i was on my way here. and since i put all that work into it, i'm going to post it. my first post from calgary. here it is:

You know... When a man (and I use that term lightly) purchases a leather baseball hat, he's committed to that stock car team. Chances are, he also has his eye on the matching team jacket.

My flight to Calgary was cancelled yesterday. Stranded for another day without t. Stranded for another day at my brother's house. But most importantly, stranded for another day without t. So I was rebooked on the first flight out this morning. And as I'm sitting on the plane waiting for everyone to board, several nascar fans found their way on board. One guy in particular caught my attention. What I noticed first was his leather hat. And I started thinking about men who proudly wear these baseball hats as though they're high fashion or an integral part of their outfit. Of course they don't think that... But that's how it looks because they won't go anywhere with out it. So back to the guy...

As he turns around, I notice that only the front of his nascar hat was leather. The rest was normal baseball hat material. So now I can't help but wonder - firstly, wtf? And secondly, what's the appeal of the hybrid hat? I would think that if you are interested in a leather hat, you're interested in the entire hat being leather. So, is the hybrid less expensive? Could this simply be an economics-based decision? Or is it more likely the sign of a nascar fan who's not entirely sure of his favourite driver and doesn't want to fully commit to the hat?

Anyway, on to other peculiar air travel happenings. This guy, who I'm lovingly referring to as "tubby", just plopped himself down across from me here at the Toronto airport. Seems as though Tubby's been busy making children (there appear to be four misbehaved youngsters nervously calling him dad). Anyway, Tubby's laziness knows no bounds. Not only has he failed to put in any effort to raise his kids to behave themselves, he also uses them... Nay, tries to manipulate them to do things like "put my gum in the garbage can" which is a mere 10 feet away. Tubby! You can use the exercise. Really. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for putting your kids to work, but get them to do things that teach them something. Like mowing the lawn.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you have a love/hate/mostlyhate relationship with nascar fans like I do...might I suggest the film Talladega Nights? The film can be summed up with this one glorious quote from Ricky Bobby's oldest son:

"Greatest generation, my ass! Tom Brokaw's a punk!".

Glorious.

Anonymous said...

Glorious indeed that.

So Tubby, did he start trying to boss your around too? He did didn't he. That's why you took exception to him
"Hey you, watching guy, go get me a burger."
I hope you gave him a kidney punch though.

Anyway, are you there yet? You're so unsettled these days, it's unsettling.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, the joys of people watching at Pearson... it really is the best place for it, don't you think?

d said...

k2 - i actually got that movie for christmas. haven't watched it yet, but certainly will. if my stuff ever gets delivered to calgary, that is.

k - i am here yet. still very unsettled though. but don't worry... everything's going to be ok. and no, he didn't start bossing me around. he did hit on me though.

j - hey! how are things? pearson is always an experience. in fact, it seems every time i fly it's an experience.